Thursday 27 August 2015

Baymax birthday cake

Big Hero 6 has to be our new all time favourite Pixar movie.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should! Kids or no kids.

So when it launched shortly before my soon to be 6 year old's birthday, it was a done deal in terms of the cake.

Baymax was such a lovely character on screen, I would do my utmost to re-create it in fondant.

I have to say, this was one of the easier cakes I've made to date and I even tried making some cupcakes and a cake topper.



For the cupcakes, we simply covered the top of the cupcake in a circle of red fondant icing, then cut a smaller circle of white icing and drew the two black eyes with the black line across the centre with an edible pen.

We did try using black fondant and using edible glue, but it the overall effect was much more cumbersome and much more fiddly!

Whilst I'd only made 12 cupcakes, the edible pen was a much quicker option. I'm all for easy options!



The cupcakes were given away at the party, instead of cake.

Each child got their own Baymax to take home and they looked rather effective in their mini take out boxes, even if I do say so myself.






As I'd clearly got the Baymax bug, I tried to make a mini cake topper. I rolled out each of the component parts and added details with the edible pen.

I then glued all of the body parts together with edible glue and hey presto!

Meet mini Baymax.

For the Baymax head, I baked a simple circular cake.

Once cooled, I added a layer of white fondant icing on top of the cake, using buttercream as my glue.

I then rolled out enough red icing to cover the whole cake and then gently laid it across the cake and with a sharp knife, scored the shape for the helmet.

Removing the red icing from the cake, I then cut the shape out, before finally laying it on the cake and smoothing out across the whole cake.

With the left over icing, I then make the shapes for the side of the helmet.


And here's a close-up of my Baymax cake topper.



No comments:

Post a Comment