Wednesday 30 May 2012

Rainbow cake

This has to be one of the easier cakes I've made for my children. Usually I have requests for barbie princesses, Angry Birds or dinosaurs.

So when Lucy asked me to make a rainbow cake, I breathed a sigh of relief! The only trouble was I needed the neon food colouring, which you seem only to be able to get from the US. So I found some on ebay and the rest was easy.



I took inspiration from here and the rest we made up as we went along! We just made our favourite cake recipe:


375g self raising flour
375g plain flour
375g butter
375g caster sugar
25g baking powder
1 tspn vanilla essence
6 eggs
40ml milk

Mix the butter and sugar together then add the eggs (one at a time) and the flour and milk gradually.

Separate the mixture into 6 equal quantities (ish) and add different food colourings to get the rainbow effect. We chose purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red. Bake for approx 10-15 mins.




Once baked, they look like this...



Add buttercream icing in between each layer and some sugar paste stars for good measure.


I made the stars in different sizes and layered them on top of each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment