Tuesday 27 May 2014

Sea Monkey cake

My 6 year old daughter is a massive Sarah McIntyre fan. She's one of those author/illustrator's who captured Lucy's imagination and also encouraged her to continue to write stories and draw LOTS.

Just recently, Lucy got the chance to meet her literary heroine, here she is pictured with Sarah and her growing family of Sea Monkeys at the 'Comic Capers' event in Chelmsford.


If you haven't read Oliver and the Seawigs, let me urge you to do so, if only to find out more about the Sea Monkeys. As you can see, we roped in Grandma to knit a couple for us. As Lucy's birthday approached, I realised there was no better design for a cake... A Sea Monkey birthday cake! Here's my attempt.

It started with a sketch on greaseproof paper...



 
I started with 2 round cakes stacked on top of each other and 2 large cupcakes for the ears.

 I then had a stab at a cupcake, but it was VERY fiddly and only managed the one!
Good likeness?
Let's hope the birthday girl approves...

Those cheeky Seamonkeys appear to!

No comments:

Post a Comment