Saturday 1 December 2012

Nativity scene

A few people had been asking me what my next selection of peg people would be... so, ta da!
See my Mark II set below.
Mark II
I wanted to make my own Nativity scene this year, rather than buy a 'shop-bought' one.
Despite my policy that 'less is more', I added a little more subtle detailing to my second set of pegs. There were a few added extras to the Wise men and Mary and Joseph. Can you spot them?
The Wise men now come bearing gifts and Mary has a rope belt, to complement Joseph's head gear.
Mary and Joseph

Back view
Mark I
This Nativity scene set of peg people, follows the success with my Superheroes, Princesses and Star Wars pegs
Mary, Joseph, Shepherds, Wise Men
Mark I
I sketch the design onto the peg and then think about the colour palette. 
Once sketched out, I paint straight onto the pegs.
Mary and Joseph were first on my list, keeping them, as always, simple and with as little detail as possible. After all, these pegs are only 2.5 inches high.
 Quickly followed by the three Wise Men with their gold capes and regal-coloured tunics.
I used gold metallic paint for their capes to make them really stand out.
 The shepherds have their trademark crooks and I'm now in the midst of creating the perfect sheep.
The Angel Gabriel(a), well a little creative license is needed here. 
Silver metallic paint for the dress and halo really makes the detail come alive. 
I'm considering adding some wire and mesh wings for the final bit of detail. Watch this space...
So here's the finished result.
Mary, Joseph, the 3 wise men, 2 shepherds and the angel. Just a coat or two of varnish to add.
 Oops - a few other props are needed too, some sheep, a donkey and 3 camels, oh and let's not forget the baby Jesus and then I'll be done.

5 comments:

  1. These are so great!

    I've wanted a nativity set for a long time but just never got around to it. I have pegs, I have paint, I have your great set for inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your comment Lori. Best of luck with your Nativity scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you use for the Christ child?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I painted him onto Mary on my last set of Nativity peg people. I painted a white oval shape as tho she's holding him in her arms. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete