Sunday 9 June 2013

A meeting of minds, crazy ladies and future friends!

On Friday, I was lucky enough to be invited along to a networking event at the Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall, by the inimitable Laura Dockrill.

'Not a feminist tribe', is Laura's brain child and the idea of the event was to bring together a plethora of creative women in one room to share their talents, talk 'business' and generally help each other out. 
Laura was ably assisted by Shanna Baynard and Tasmin Ace and this was to be the first of many gatherings. 
Pic courtesy of @jabberworks
It has to be said that I was totally out of my depth here, what with published authors, illustrators, radio DJ's and actors. These ladies were a force to be reckoned with and really lovely to boot! My little Dudebox creations seemed to pale into insignificance around this awesome bunch.
However, I was super excited to meet @jabberworks (aka Sarah McIntyre) illustrator extraordinaire and no 1 hero of my 6 yo daughter. I had gone prepared with a 'mini me' Dudebox for Sarah, under strict instructions from my daughter, Lucy.
Complete with tortoise shell specs and spotty wellies
See the likeness?
Sarah has illustrated some of my children's favourite reads and Lucy recently entered an animation into one of Sarah's competitions.
Mini Sarah meets real Sarah
Sarah lived up to my expectations and more. She was a great sport and let me snap some pics of her with her 'mini me' which I'd created for her and she blogged about it here too.
A trio of Sarah's!
Big thanks to all of the ladies I met (Gemma Greany, I'll get you next time!) and especially to those at the helm of  it was a fab event and there will much more to see and hear following this, of that I assure you!

Finally, a special mention for @asbomum! Lovely to see her in the flesh too, as she often makes me titter out loud on Twitter and cheers to Hector for his expert gong banging and impeccable timing! We couldn't have done it without you.

PS Laura, your 'mini me' toy will be winging it's way to you shortly, pics to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment